Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Bon Voyage!!!



Well, I'm finally off to Scotland!

Things looked a bit touch and go there thanks to that Icelandic Volcano Beotch, which decided to belch its filth back in the air again past few days, but it seems (fingers, toes crossed), on this rainy afternoon, my plane is still scheduled to depart from JFK to Amsterdam, where I connect to Edinburgh, on time.  I need this trip like you wouldn't believe. Lifelong dream to see the land of Mary Queen of Scots and some of my favorite whiskies. Everything seemed to come together so nicely. Air miles transferred to me, my friend Dan with a place for me to stay and the most generous capacity to plan activities and guide me around. Plus I just need out of dodge for a bit. A way to reset. See the world. Get away from the hurries and worries and allow myself to relax and play without feeling guilty about it. Being out of work has been really exhausting. I know that sounds crazy. But it is. The stress. I mean, look at how much weight I've gained!

Plus, sadly, what seemed like a great, nurturing relationship ended very suddenly over the weekend. Yes, there were outlying problems that I knew would surface, but that I hoped we'd work through. Alas, the boy freaked out about them sooner than later. I understand why this had to happen. He's a good person. A great person. It's sadly just another casualty of bad circumstances and crossed stars. Hey reality, thanks for dropping in! Your timing is fabulous as always.



Ah well, at least Sunday I was able to spend the evening with great friends on a terrific sunset cocktail cruise, the Manhattan Cocktail Classic Three Hour tour. Very well curated by Jason Littrell and the Tippling Point crew. Drinks were delicious (personal favorite, the Scotch Fix, which was a simple mix of Ardbeg, lemon juice and honey syrup. Runner up was the Landing Strip: 10 Cane Rum, Pineapple juice, coconut water, lime, simple syrup, Angostura Bitters and sage leaves. Foamy and very refreshing!). By sunset a few of these drinks and others, these lovely views, good snacks, great conversation, definitely feeling no pain. They even gave us each mock passports to stamp at each cocktail station.







So here's hoping that menstral volcano from hell can cool it long enough for me to get where I need to go. I'm guessing if she acts up again once on the other side, won't mind it one bit. Nope. See you kids after the 27th!